Today, while in the car running errands, my darling husband insinuated that I could not make onion rings. I demanded he take me to the near by grocery store and I would buy and onion and prove him wrong. He tried to say no, but we were currently stopped at the bank, so I opened the car door and proceeded to get out. I was going to walk to said grocery store and get that onion if I had to.
I got my onion. I didn’t walk.
But not without tears and a giant mess.
Tear causing culprits, these little suckers even made my mascara run. I have a mascara smudge on my arm to prove it. According to Betty Crocker, you can peel onions under cold water and your eyes won’t run. I didn’t try this. And I was not willing to chance chopping onions under water, so the benefit was lost to me.
A couple notes when you decide to fry anything: 1. Make sure you have enough flour. I did because I bought some on my onion run. 2. Make sure you have enough oil. I didn’t. I mean I made it work, but I had to use olive oil for the second round and I just barely had enough of that.
This is my first few onion rings. Isn’t that little one cute?
We, I should say the doubting husband, ate the first batch while I was making them. So I didn’t get a picture, but know that at some point I had a pile of crispy onion delicious-ness.
After I pulled the last few from the first batch, we were chowing them down. Meanwhile, the oil is just cooking away…..until it started smoking and I turned the flame off.
After a quick sigh and some fresh oil, I was onto my next batch.
I am pretty sure my body does not appreciate this kind of treatment, but my taste-beds really did not mind. And neither did my hungry husband. He was too busy eating them to admit he was wrong. But I can’t make this a habit or I will perpetually be putting off homework to prove myself as wife and cook…which might have been his plan from the beginning. What a crafty husband I have.
What you gotta have:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 Cup of vegetable (or olive) oil
- 1 Cup of milk
- 3/4 Cup of flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons (or more) of Parmesan cheese (optional, I just added it for flavor, but I didn’t really notice.)
- A bit, less than 1/8 a Teaspoon, of Cayenne pepper (also optional, I didn’t really notice this either, so you could add more or just add some other spices that sound good and see what happens.)
- 2 Cups of flour for dipping into after you dip into the batter.
- 1 large yellow/sweet onion
Do it to it:
- Peel and slice your onion.
- Mix the eggs, oil and milk in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Whisk for a minute or so.
- Add 3/4 of a cup of flour and spices to mixture.
- Whisk again for a minute or so.
- Pour 1 cup of flour into a container.
- Pour oil in frying pan.
- Heat oil with low heat until you can sizzle a drop of water.
- While the oil is warming, start dipping the onion rings into the batter mixture.
- Then cover them with flour.
- Once the oil is warm, carefully put the onions that have been battered and floured, into the oil and fry them up.
- Fry them until they are golden brown.
- Bask in the glory of you homemade onion rings.
-Sarah, One Curly Mama